Wednesday, February 20, 2008

High School to Housewife.....why can't he SEE me THAT way?

I figure it is about time for the first chapter of High School to Housewife, don't you? Here it goes....

My Dad owns a construction/excavation company and he ran his business/shop from our ranch in the country. Mr Wonderful started working for our family business summer of 1991. I was the tender age of 13 at that time, he was 17. He had been working for us a few years when I started to notice what a strong, sweet guy he was.

It was always a good day for me when Mr Wonderful was working at the shop. He was funny, kind, manly, and he also had the most amazing butt! (I was 16 now and...these are serious requirements for a spouse). He wore Wrangler jeans better than any guy I knew and I made sure to sneak extra opportunities for a quick glance.

I was 16 when the first stages of infatuation hit. My brother was getting married and I flirted with Mr Wonderful who was the best man, he ignored me and played dumb to this notion that I had a major crush on him. I do remember I touched his hair once and I even got to touch the nape of his neck! I was perplexed by how thick it looked and how it never moved. It was very thick and very course almost like a brillo pad. I still have no idea why I would have been touching his hair but I am thinking it must have been some lame excuse to do with getting set to go down the isle for my brother's wedding or wedding photos or something. Here is a pic of Mr Uninterested/Mr Wonderful and Ornery Brother at his wedding.

Here is another pic of my brother and Mr Wonderful playing what we call HillBilly Golf, (golf in a pasture near the Middle Fork of the John Day River.) I rode over with my future sister-in-law for the day to bring hte guys some food while they were having a guys fishing trip. I took this pic, all the while drooling over Mr Wonderful....unfortunately at the time he was still Mr Uninterested.:(


At this time in my life I was very involved in showing my horse Bullet. After I would finish a training session in the arena I would find excuses to need to walk by on horseback past the shop doors. Then I would try to casually start a conversation or at the VERY least catch his attention. Now, I should point out that before I would head out to ride on days Mr Wonderful was working, I'd make sure to have my hair a little nicer and my make up done.....I'd try really hard to act unaffected by his presence and I'd be walking by on my horse trying to catch the eye of the illusive "Mr Uninterested".

Now one saving grace for me was that "Mr Uninterested" did not seem interested in anyone. He had not had a serious girlfriend and I was hoping that when he finally noticed girls I would be the one he noticed.

He'd say "Hi" or something nice but it was like he didn't even see me, he was friendly but that was it! This was quite perplexing to me.....I really wanted him to see me in a different way if you know what I mean. He just wouldn't. If he saw me at all it was in a little sister way.....ugh! I guess it makes sense because he was my brother's best friend but still I had to figure out a way to get him to see me for something more...but how?

Now a quick note, I openly had this crush on him, turns out one of my friends had a chrush on him as well! She had the advantage of living next door to him. UGH, this was bad news, very bad news......she actually did have luck convincing him to take notice of her. She was one year older than me. It was about a month long dating experience and she dumped him for some short kid with a face like a pizza. She said something about the pressures of both their mothers wanting to plan their wedding after date one...she ran, and I can't blame her with all that pressure so early on! This did not do wonders for Mr Wonderful's dating confidence and eagerness to try again. That did not detour me much though.

The chase was on.......

No comments: