Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Adventures in Cake Making......

Spud Man's birthday is today! Happy B-Day Buddy!!! I wanted to make him a special cake since normally we are so socked in with fog and dreary weather this time of year I end up completely failing at making his B-Day special. Anyway I let him pick out his own cake.....why is it when left to their own choices every kid of mine chooses this one?

But who could resist a kid with this face?

So the journey began, making his cake. The only redeeming factor here is this product brought to you by our spoiled backyard chickens. These should make up for ALL the artificial everything in the cake mix. It's true, see.....

Anyway on goes the process........gotta love those spinkles....

B-Day boy helps out....whoa slow down there Spud! Ok Time for the BIG guns.....but first how about a lick for the B-Day boy?

Please don't look in my dirty oven.......



I thought I told you not to look in my dirty oven! Wanna know the sad part? It's a self clean oven. Oh shush, I know your oven is dirty too. Or it used to be before you ran off and cleaned it!

Missing patience bones I think could be hereditary, since the Munchkins had a hard time waiting too. Spud Man displays his super powers to move faster than a camera shutter! Do you think the sugar kicked in from that lick of cake batter earlier?

See the parchment paper sticking out from under the cake but on top of the plate? I do that so that the when I am being messing and frosting it my plate will stay clean.......who cares if this is the first time I ever thought to do that....I am sure it is a well known cake making thing I just was unaware of.




Oh ya and those wonderful sprinkles!

Of course you have to have frosting between the layers because it just would not work without it!!!!!! Hmm not quite cool enough to frost quite yet, what shall I do? I nervously look at the clock and decide patience is NOT an option......not because I am in a hurry, just because I have no patience bone, it was missing at birth.






It seemed like the only thing to do really. So soon after I started to frost.......and frost.....



And frost some more, with some final details too. Told you I was messy with frosting...thank goodness that parchement paper is there huh?


Too bad my kitchen is worse for the wear.....notice the bottle of Motrin? It was very much a part of this cake making process. Thank God for Motrin! HAHA Remember the parchement paper...yup time for it to go. There it is finished all of it's humble glory! By the way in case you are wondering that is an excavator Spud Man's favorite thing of all time.


Look at those lip smackin' munchkins! They would really really like a little frosting...what do you think? Should I?





Oh Alright I guess so! Who could resist a B-Day boy's face anyway?
Thanks for joining me on my adventure in cake making!
Disclaimer: No sugar was consumed by the maker of this cake and therefore said maker shall be rewarded later for such self control in a pig out session promply beginning at 7pm this evening! No chidren were harmed during the making of this cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very Pioneer Womanish! It looks great! The cake, pictures and the blog!

Enjoy that wonderful cake and that cute birthday boy!

Anonymous said...

Oh fun commentary and pictures! :) The cake looks great. :)