Thursday, March 13, 2008

Highschool to Housewife...His Truck.

I thought I would take a few mins to tell you about Mr Wonderful's pick-up when we were dating. I come from a long line of Chevy pick-up drivers (don't look in my driveway because we have a Dodge, we got a lot crap about it too!) anyway Mr Wonderful drove a pick-up that had special meaning for me. You see it had been in the family a while before Mr Wonderful bought it. First my Grandpa had found it for my oldest brother who was looking for a pick-up to rebuild (a project if you will). He completely rebuilt it from engine to paint job. He put glass packs on (whatever those really are, I just know it made it sound loud and fun), then he put in a large sound system with a subwoofer (my personal favorite), this pickup was NICE in it's early days, but then my oldest brother wrecked it one night the road washed out in a flood (so on goes the first few layers of bondo), then repainted it again. Anyway this poor pick-up had been thru a lot by the time Mr Wonderful bought it, including Ornery Brother. Ornery Brother sold it to Mr Wonderful.

Mr Wonderful ended up recovering the bench seat in a really neat navajo fabric and I was particularly impressed with his choice. When Mr Wonderful and I went on our first date I noticed he listened to the radio WITHOUT the subwoofer turned on......what kind of injustice is THAT? I could not believe it, because to me the best thing in the whole world was feeling that bass "move" you. I love bass......to this day when I hear a good bass in music or movies it makes me tingle. I am pretty sure it can be linked back to our time in this blue truck with the subwoofer ON!

I miss that truck sometimes, well alot sometimes. The times I don't miss it are when I think about how many repairs it was constantly needing, how is guzzled fuel like a thirsty elephant, and of course it only seated 3 people.......those are the reasons we ended up selling it shortly before we got married. Now you want to know the true sign of good husband material? A Man willing to trade this in.....



For this.....


Shortly before we got married we decided we needed a car that would be reliable and also get good gas mileage. Turns out we made a good choice because our Honda Accord ended up being with us for a LONG time, we bought it in 1997 and sold it about a year and a half ago 2006 (when we had our 4th baby and we could not longer all fit in it). I loved that car. Anyway it says a lot about a guy who is willing to give up his truck for a family car. By the way that is his dad next to him in the pic (he passed away in 2003 just 4 days after Tobers was born). I believe we were one of the only people to stubbornly hold on to a car that we loved even though we were completely busting out of the seams with 3 kids, 2 adults, and a dog on occasion. That car was a member of the family it seemed. We get attached to our vehicles for some reason they all have names.

In those above pics that is almost the exact outfit he wore on our first date! Here are some random pics with Blue Bertha in it.




Don't I look young and innocent? NOT! What WAS I thinking with that outfit (I swear those slickie pants were "in" then!) and what was up with my hair?

By this time this truck had been thru alot, witnessed a whole lot, and been the center of a lot of fun adventures.....another fun little note about this truck is that it had a back window. Callie would most of the time ride in front when I was not in the truck but sometimes she'd ride in back. When I was there she'd ride in the back more....she DID NOT appreciate this setback in her position. If Mr Wonderful and I got to flirting and tickling in the cab or something fun (get your minds out of the gutter people!) she'd start scratching at the back window and if we let her in she'd break up the fun and protect Mr Wonderful! She still does that to this day, she protects him even if he is winning!!! Doesn't she know I named her? She is very much Mr Wonderful's dog still after 13 years! Hmph!

Now I know Mr Wonderful's truck was nothing spectacular but we sure loved it, it was well worn by the time we sold it but there is a special memory there. I still really like the looks of those chevy trucks so proud and loud. We have talked about when the kids are grown that we will find a chevy pickup in that same era and rebuild it and have that be our date rig! There are just certain things that take us back and 70's chevy pick-up's do that for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you actually SOLD it and didn't keep it around for lawn ornaments like us. I can't remember the last time we sold a vehicle- although we've bought some! Sigh.

Funny how rigs can take on personalities of their own and become so important in our lives.