Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Work Ethic in the Making...

Today the two oldest boys have been working hard. They have been turning the soil for me in the large front flower bed area.  The flowerbed we made when we were putting in the circular driveway became quite grassy when the sod clumps in the mounds started to grow...it looked downright shabby!

Before...


So the boys came to my rescue this morning.  I offered them each $10 to do half that flower bed.  Each half is about 10 ft wide by 50 ft long.  I don't know about you, but if I were having to do an area that large I'd probably end up breaking it into smaller sections to do one at a time over the course of a couple days.  Low and behold, 30-45 minutes later when I came out this is what I saw!  I was amazed at what fast work they did!  This half was completely done and Spud Man was off to another project already!  He even threw the sod clumps in the wheelbarrow to haul to the compost pile.


 The other half Tobers was working on like a pro.  He and Whippersnapper had teamed up, but of course Whippersnapper tires out after about 3.35 minutes of any kind of labor for the most part.  Tobers paced himself more, and kept at it.




Next, I went to check on Spud Man's next project.  I hadn't even asked him to do this area!  He had already gotten this much area turned up! 



These boys know how to use a shovel don't they?  Where ever Spud Man is, nearby is his dog.


When I came back just 15 minutes later, he was just finishing up the area!



Here he is after he finished it.    


I am convinced that nothing builds character and self-esteem like hard work and job well done!

Shortly after this he informed me the shovel was now dull.  As I type this I can hear the distant sound of a Drummel tool, I assume, "sharpening" the shovel!

I should probably put a disclaimer in here to balance this all out.  Normally the boys LOVE digging, anything to do with dirt they are all for it!  The trick is though, they love to dig, shovel, hoe, saw, rake when it is their idea.  Most of the time when we ask them to do something involving hard work they aren't enthusiastic or all that productive at it.  To be fair, they have gotten a lot better this during the past year.  The reason this morning seemed like such a triumph, was I had asked them to do it, and they did it with such gusto it made this momma proud!   Granted I offered to pay them, but let's face it, this was a pretty tough job and money helps sweeten the pot!  The deal around here is, anything I am overwhelmed thinking about having to tackle on my own I will gladly pay the kids to do for me if they are able. 

"Thanks Boys!" 

Now it is time to for me to start working on the landscaping plan.  Something deer proof!

No comments: