Saturday, April 13, 2013

Snake Warning....Ornery Alert...

It is well known I have a bit of an ornery streak....well actually, I've even been told it is a mile wide ornery streak.  I can't help it, I am pretty sure it is in my DNA.  One day, when driving home from a day at my parents place we saw a large bull snake, and it just so happened it's coloring was pretty similar to the rattle snakes in this area.  So I skidded to a stop, got out and scooped up that dead snake and hauled it home. Mwhahaha....my plan was underway.  The kids were a little freaked out that this normally laid-back momma would dare to do such a thing....they were about to learn more about their mother's ornery streak than they'd ever known before.

It was a pretty large snake at about 3 feet long so it was going to be an impressive prank for sure.  All the way home I plotted and planned ways to use this snake to impart increased heart rates and elicit screams of freight.  Hee Hee

I had a plan.  I wanted it to look natural, you know believable.  So I carefully posed it and positioned it as if it was just coming out from the step area of the front porch....I purposely hid his tail because when you are scared it is a rattler the first thing you look at is the tail.



Scary huh?  You should have heard me giggling the whole time!


Does his head look realistically lifted from the ground?  Can you tell he's been run over?


Check out that toothpick holding up his head.  I put a lot of work into making him look realistic in order to have the best effect for my plan.


So now you think it looks so obvious it is a set up....but you have to remember that first glance fear....the one where your heart jumps into your throat...then your bladder gets misaligned and you come dangerously close to wetting yourself....ya that is what I was going for. 


Well Mr. Wonderful came home, he had his lunch box in hand as he shut his pick-up door after a long day of work.  He sauntered around to step into the yard from the parking area and he stopped right in his tracks.....we have eye contact!  He startled then hollered something along the lines of "Hey!  You guys aren't going to believe this!"  Then he catches sight of the 5 heads in the window peeking out the blinds at him.....his frame relaxes and he starts to shake his head and laugh at our antics.  He is such a good sport.

Later that night we set the snake in the street in front of our house...then we all sat on the front porch visiting while we waited for the neighborhood walkers.  It was awesome!  We'd hear shrieks and screams and gasps...then they'd alert us to the danger in the street.  We could barely keep a straight face!  We even had one little kid on a bike run it over by accident.  You should have see it, he let out a scream once his brain registered what he just ran over, he began to wobble and swoop from side to side and both legs out to brace for a wreak, but he was able to recover and looped back to take a closer look.  It really was funny.  It made for a really fun evening for us all.  We even "helped" people by giving them something really interesting to see on their boring old walk around the neighborhood.  They had a story to tell when they got home right?  Plus, getting the heart rate up is a good thing for exercise right?

No comments: