Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tree Scouting...

Well I suppose you could say we went Christmas Tree scouting today....we didn't intend to. In fact we have a artificial tree we love. We were actually on a mountain drive when it started to snow and it was beautiful...and there were people headed back home with all these beautiful real trees....so I started getting tree envy. Then we were kicking ourselves for not buying a permit before we came up in case we found the perfect tree. Anyway we decided we were officially tree scouting.....so they took a short hike around to find the perfect tree, we have at least 3 possibilities and we might go back up this weekend to cut it down. The kids are super excited.....I have mixed feelings. As you can see it was snowing, actually kinda hard.

I was never going to be one of THOSE people, the kind that set up an artificial tree. So tackey, you have to go real, that was my motto. Then someone gave us a really nice, full fake tree. I fell in love, they are so neat and clean, they don't have to be watered, they actually hold up the ornaments and there are enough branches that each one can hold an ornament instead of having to put 5 ornaments on the same branch! HAHA
You see I am famous for not watering the tree......I usually put a kid in charge but then they forget too....so the tree dries up and we end up with a mess. Add to that we have wood heat which is very drying for a tree.....and it is crispy city by Christmas.....then look out when it is time to take the tree out of the house.

We will likely go with a fresh tree this year, it will be nice....I just might need daily reminders from my friends to water the tree! Unless of course I can get my kids to feeling impatient and offer to drag the fake tree in for them to decorate this week, then I might be able to get out of the sticky pitchy hands while trying to get the tree level, vertical, and steady. Not to mention the pokey process of stringing lights......oh the memories. I do miss the smell of the fresh tree though....to be continued....you will soon get to see what we ended up with fake or real tree this year....

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

That bottom picture is so clear! It was snowing hard up there. I want a winter drive- those kind of pictures are torture for a couch-ridden person!

You summed up real trees to a "T". The only thing I miss about getting a real one is the smell. I can skip everything else and be just fine. Do we get to vote on what you pick? I'm thinking you'll go real this year.

The Summerfields said...

Sure you can vote.....not sure my kids will obey the vote though!lol

Anonymous said...

I like the smell of a real tree too. But am attracted to a fake for various reasons. My Dad used to grow Christmas trees so somehow it seems sacrilegious to get a fake one. I would think you could get a "real" wreath or garland to help bring in the smell.