Sunday, May 26, 2013

Startle Reflex...

Why does the startle reflex have to be attached to closely to the bladder?  I've never understood this. 

When the kids were changing sprinkler pipe the other day they came running into the house to tell me about something they found.  I eventually made my way out to check it out.

They had whatever it was staked out so we could easily find it again...


...find what exactly?  I don't see anything, do you?


Then, everything went a flutter and my heart jumped into my throat and well I told you about the bladder part.  It was a close call in the bladder department let me tell you!

The blurry subject is a pheasant hen.  It wasn't until we were right over the top of her that she flew the nest!  Which made for a heart stopping second of excitement.


Here is her nest.  Pretty interesting.  


I am not sure how to tell her that in a couple weeks we are going to cut the hay.  I am not sure what to do with her nest.  We thought of trying to incubate the eggs if she abandons the nest after we carefully guide the swather around it.  My motto is mother nature does best with wild animals and I'd prefer the momma to do the incubating.   I just don't know how likely it would be if she'd come back to the nest after the field has been cut.

So follow along with our journey of watching over this pheasant nest.  We've already altered our watering pattern to keep the momma bird from having to shed water off her nest for 24 hours straight.  Hopefully she appreciates our efforts by not abandoning her nest and leaving her babies in our care, because honestly I am not sure what I'd do with pheasants once they were hatched.  I'll bet they will be cute though.  


1 comment:

Mrs. G said...

I would like one! Just kidding - Mark would kill me if I brought home another baby animal. Isn't country life the best?! Enjoying your adventures and praying that each one underlines what a great decision it has been for your family to make this leap of faith!