Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It came!

We got our homeschool supplies order yesterday! It was so exciting for the kids to open it all up and we looked over every item and they all asked if it was theirs.....everyone got their little stacks and then we had a family stack. They are really excited to do school now...that was what I was hoping for.

My favorite things are probably the Prima Latina DVDs and the Prismacolor watercolor pencils.

We will be taking a month off as soon as we finish this years materials. Then we will start some new materials in mid June. I doubt the kids will let me wait that long, although there is still a chance we'd go ahead and have a summer break thru till August 1st.

I am stuck between two trains of thought. It was strongly suggested to me by a public school teacher friend to see about Spud Man being evaluated for a learning disability. Which I kinda wonder since he loses so much info if you don't work on it REALLY consistantly and he is just not progressing very fast at all, we've been working on beginning reading for almost 2 years. Then there is the other train of thought, he might not be quite ready and give him 3-6 months off and see if he picks it up easier then......which I am having trouble letting go and doing that because he is 7 now what if he does have a learning disability and we'd be wasting 3-6 months precious time using methods that could help him learn easier. I don't want to stick my head in the sand and yet I am not real eager to sign him up for a lifetime label either.:( We are still thinking on it and trying to figure out what to do.

Well that is the short of the school order....I am so excited to read thru them and incorperate it all into our plan next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How old is he again?

Christian is 8 and just learning to read and finally getting it. He just wasn't remembering it before. Waiting a bit and then changing methods is working.

Katrina didn't start reading until about 10. She put too much pressure on herself and couldn't get it after that.

We tried using the school system for his speech, but that didn't work out well. If I'd stayed with them, he might learn how to speak clearly by graduation.

Now, we are working on it together along with his reading. :)

Boys are also usually slower than the girls with academics. Just my experiences. :)